Mouth Cancer Action Month remains a focal point for everybody across the country to take action and help spread awareness of the disease. Your support for the campaign continues to grow year-on-year, as does our passion to reduce the number of lives effected by mouth cancer.
Our team at the Oral Health Foundation uses Mouth Cancer Action as a chance to work closely with oral health educators, health professionals, schools and workplaces, to increase their important work of delivering oral health education, especially in disadvantaged communities and regions of known poor oral health, to deliver better awareness of mouth cancer.
Since we ran the campaign 12 years ago, Mouth Cancer Action Month has helped facilitate thousands of events and projects, and continues to act as the spearhead campaign for providing organised grassroots activities such as oral health checks and free mouth cancer examinations, talks, sponsored events, roadshows, displays, open sessions – all which have the ultimate goal of engaging people in the importance of being aware of mouth cancer.
This is just a small sample of what we have done for Mouth Cancer Action Month over the last few years:
- We have supported more than 3,600 healthcare organisations taking part in the campaign and provided thousands with patient-facing materials and resources to promote mouth cancer awareness.
- We have distributed in excess of 110,000 mouth cancer posters for displays in waiting rooms and practices across the UK, with information about risk factors, early warning signs and symptoms of mouth cancer.
- We have facilitated around 350 specialised mouth cancer events around the UK, which specifically aimed to visually examine those patients at risk of mouth cancer.
- We have directly invested £270,000 into promoting mouth cancer awareness.
- We have supplied dental practices and hospitals with 1,300 Blue Ribbon Appeal Kits, to be displayed in dental practice waiting rooms across the UK.
- More than 250,000 people now wear our Blue Ribbon Badge to actively show their support for Mouth Cancer Action Month.
- We have been able to increase the profile of mouth cancer in the media agenda. More than 1,000 articles have been published, reaching in excess of 150 million people.
- As a charity looking to make a positive impact in the public arena, we have been able to influence policy regarding smoking, alcohol, diet and gender-neutral HPV vaccinations.
We would like to say a huge thank you to everybody who continue to help us raise awareness of the disease during Mouth Cancer Action Month – your participation no matter how big or small, is always warmly received and made a huge difference to the campaign’s success. Our thanks also go to our sponsors, Denplan, Dentists’ Provident, and the Association of Dental Groups, whose contributions ensure we are able to reach the maximum number of people with our messages of education, prevention and early detection.